SUSPENSE SEALED WITH A KISS
SPEAKER: Linda is a member of AWSA, and is available to speak to your organization, at your conference, or as part of a workshop.
Contact her at lglazagain@aol.com

AGENT: Linda is a an agent with Hartline Literary Agency. She would love to represent that next great American novel! She will look at nonfiction, but she LOVES FICTION--historic, suspense, romance or all of the above. linda@hartlineliterary.com

AUTHOR: Linda writes romance in all categories, but what is her fave? Suspense, and not only suspense, but SUSPENSE SEALED WITH A KISS

Monday, October 21, 2013

Singular Thinking by Linda S. Glaz




Singular Thinking by Linda S. Glaz

When sitting in an office 24/7, which a lot of us do for the most part, we have to consider that we are being very singular in many aspects.
A lot of writers are outgoing, but then must sit behind a computer for a good share of their day.
Let’s look at a couple things:
First, writing requires life experiences to be able to create ‘real’ characters.
Second, it’s imperative for writers to interact with other people in order to understand what’s going on in the world. And different social media formats don’t replace actual interaction with humans.
As writers, we want that time with our computers. Where else can a person hunt and peck, creating imaginary lives, personalities, and scenarios that will come alive on someone’s ebook or in a printed book?
There needs to be a balance that allows us to keep living as well as bring that incredible life to our characters which requires the long hours on the computer.
How do you balance your time as a writer? What do you do to be sure you are interacting with ‘normal’ people?
How many hours a week/day do you give to your craft?
Do you allow time to learn new aspects of your craft through critique groups, classes, etc.?
OR, are you the 24/7 writer who never lifts his head from the sand to see what’s going on in the world around you?
 

3 comments:

  1. A key issue for authors is balance. At this stage of my life, my time is more flexible. I adjust my work time, family and friend time according to the needs of my current work in progress. It's so easy to just hide away and create another world...one I can control...LOL

    Have a great day Linda. I really enjoyed meeting you at the Oregon Christian Writers Conference in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually WISH I could be the 24/7 writer that only looks out once in awhile but I'm married to a pastor so I can't. I'm thankful for that, though, because it constantly keeps me out of my comfort zone and experiencing amazing stories. AMAZING. I heard so many incredible stories yesterday and yes, I write them down. I'm constantly emailing myself on my phone with ideas! Life is full of adventures if we're careful to look for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently decided to spend more time studying the craft of writing. And, as you said above, I get my best inspiration by being out and about. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete